Sunday, November 12, 2006

Welcome to Schiphol International Airport, gateway to Amsterdam

Schiphol International Airport (pronounced “skipple”, apparently) must be one of the cleanest and quietest airports I’ve ever traveled through. No loud announcements blasting through the hallways, unbelievably efficient (total time to get off the plane, through customs, and luggage in hand? 20 minutes), and sparkling clean.

Of course, arriving at 7:15 AM (an hour early courtesy of a strong tailwind) before the crowds had a chance to muck it up might have made a difference. However, from what I saw, I expect that it will probably be nearly as clean at 7:15 PM. You leave the secure area and the main concourse feels like a very classy mall. I’d fly through here again (and will on Thursday afternoon but you get my point).